2012/08/25

Paul Weller (NME): Band reunions drive me potty...

Paul Weller has bemoaned the recent spate of band reunions.

Groups such as Blur, Pulp and Primal Scream have reformed this summer (2012) for comeback shows. Earlier this month (August 6), Weller attended a secret gig in London by the The Stone Roses, the band behind this year's most high-profile reunion.

However, the singer insists that he has no plans to reform his own bands, The Jam and The Style Council, and poured scorn on the trend. He told The Mirror: "It drives me potty to be honest and I am sick of seeing it. It is big business at the moment and I find it really disappointing and I think all the time that is spent on bands reforming and nostalgia. What about the new bands, or young bands, coming in which don't get a look in?"

He also suggested that band reunions reflect a lack of creative inspiration, adding: "I don't know what the reason is. Why is it so prevalent? Is it because people stick to what they know or what they are comfortable or safe with? But I think I come from a time when all the artists I grew up with and I loved always used to try and push the boundaries and there doesn’t seem so much of that really. It is the same sort of thing, and I find it disappointing."

Weller, 54, released his eleventh album as a solo artist in March (2012). Titled 'Sonik Kicks', it debuted at Number One on the UK charts. Earlier this month (August 1), he played an intimate gig at London's 100 Club and he has dates lined up in the US and Japan this October (2012).

No comments: